Operating in an industry that is renowned for its negative impact on the environment, we take seriously our responsibility to develop a sustainable approach to business activities and consider the environment in all that we do.
Our ISO 14001 Environmental Management System approach has been carefully developed to help control and manage this. Amongst these initiatives includes:
- A regular fleet renewal programme – we operate one of the newest and greenest fleets on the road. All vehicles have the latest Euro 6 reduced emission standard engines
- Three longer length semi-trailers. These are two metres longer than a standard trailer enabling us to deliver more for our miles and reducing emissions, fuel and road risk
- Driver training in safe & fuel efficient driving enabling drivers to operate vehicles safely, professionally and economically.
- A meandering stream runs alongside our yard and we have two hibernaculums for newts, wild flowers and insects and we have 16 acres of new woodland and 1.5 miles of planted hedges.
- The use of renewable energy sources wherever possible, including a 10kw wind turbine powers which operates at our transport Sittingbourne depot and LED outside lighting. Electricity, water and paper usage is monitored and our team are educated to work in an environmentally responsible way. An underground water harvesting tank captures rain water from the roof of our Sittingbourne depot and supplies our wash bay. Drains with interceptors capture surface run-off and any pollutants. A sustainable urban drainage system is also installed at our site in Marden and we use energy efficient technology, including solar panels, at our head office site in Linton.
- Monitoring mpg and idling data through in-cab telematics which assesses driving style and behaviour and helps us to target training.